Did you know that ballroom dancing is not only good for your body, but it is also good for your mind? According to experts, ballroom dancing can make you more flexible, help you build lean muscles, and increase your ability to burn fat. At the same time, dancing also helps your mind stay sharp.
According to a studies, people who danced were less likely to develop dementia than their non-dancing counterparts.
Although it is still unclear as to how ballroom dancing helps ward off dementia, here are a few theories:
- Ballroom dancing increases blood flow and oxygenation to the brain
- Dancing can help to reduce stress. Also, socializing while dancing can ward off loneliness and depression
- Cooperating with a partner requires communication skills, which in turn requires the ability to think creatively
- Ballroom dancing engages your mind and body at the same time. This can build neural pathways that may have stayed dormant otherwise.
How many times have you been at an event and thought, “Wouldn’t it be wonderful if I could go out there, command the floor and impress others?” Be honest. Remember, dancing is a social skill, and others will react accordingly to your abilities. Never miss out on a chance to dance and look great again!
Dancing is a wonderful activity that will benefit your mind, body, and soul. It is one of the few truly pleasurable activities that is good for you in every way.
Here is a list of some of the tremendous benefits dancing will bring to your life:
- Dancing is an excellent cardiovascular exercise that will use all your major muscle groups.
- It encourages good posture and body alignment, and will strengthen your body’s core abdominal muscles.
- You will become more flexible, more agile, and more graceful both on and off the dance floor.
- You’ll burn calories while you’re having fun. It’s invigorating!
- Ballroom dancing will also benefit your mental and emotional health.
- You’ll spend your evenings on the dance floor instead of alone in front of the TV.
- You can discover a new passion and joy in your life at any age.
- You’ll learn to dance with a variety of partners, many of whom will become your friends. It’s a terrific way to meet new people who share your same interests.
- Dancing will make you smarter. Researchers have found that ballroom dancing improves mental acuity throughout a dancer’s life and can even help prevent Alzheimer’s disease in senior citizens! It’s like two swords sharpening one another – the body helps the mind work, and the mind takes care of the body.
- You’ll become more musical and learn to appreciate musical timing and phrasing.
- You will discover a rhythm and grace in your own body you didn’t know you had.
- Ballroom dancing will make you stronger, happier, healthier, and smarter. It will bring you joy.
The overall benefits of dancing are numerous… I’ve listed just a few. Once you start dancing, you’ll see yourself trim up, think faster, and be happier! Try it! Once you get the ball rolling, you’ll know it’s the right decision for you!